The following classes will be scheduled through your expressed interest. Contact us, and we will arrange a day and time. Groups are preferred but we will accommodate individuals.
1. Ice Harvesting Workshop for Kids. As this is dependent on ice we would need to set a date for this between the end of January and the beginning of February. We can accommodate 60. Homeschoolers welcome. Involves inside classroom time and outdoor hands-on activity. Students will learn about traditional hand tools and horse drawn equipment, the process of harvesting, making ice tools, and the construction of ice houses. We will harvest cakes of ice from a pond at the museum. $10 per student.
2. By Arrangement. Making a Hacksaw Using Mortise & Tenon Joinery. Ages 11 and above. Group of six or more required. Homeschoolers welcome. this involves using reall hand tools to create a hacksaw in the style of an old fashioned bucksaw. A beginner's tool making class. 4 hours plus. $50.
3. By Arrangement. Erector Set Fun for Kids. Using vintage erector sets we will make structures, vehicles, contraptions while exploring engineering through hands-on play. What a great way to spend the afternoon with your friends. Groups wanted. 3-4 hours at our heated facility with instructor. $30.
4. By Arrangement. Making a Working Scale Model of a Trebuchet or Catapult for Kids. Using early woodworking techniques, students will assemble from a kit prepared by the museum, one of these early siege weapons. Ages 10 and above. Parents invited to join at no extra cost. 4 hours plus. $50
5. By Arrangement. Animation & Early Motion Picture Making for Kids. Ages 8 and above. Discuss how early parlour entertainments evolved into the first movies. Learn to make such early visual entertainments as a zoetrope, praxinoscope, phenakistoscope, and thaumatrope. 3 hours plus. $45
6. By Arrangement. Letter Press Printing at the Print Shop for Kids or Adults (Ages 8 and above). This class is for a group of eight, ages 8 and above. Homeschoolers welcome. It includes a short overview of the history of the printed word around the globe. We will look at handwriting, illuminated manuscripts, calligraphy, and early block printing. Students will experience quill and ink, hand block printing, and compose a chase of lead type that they will ink and print on our Kelsey press (circa 1920) and our Golding Pearl (circa 1902). 3 hours plus. $45 each. For a group solely comprised of adults there will be greater emphasis on learning to compose lead type and printing.
7. By Arrangement. Old Time Stenciling and Apple Box Making. Ages 8and above. Assemble a wooden apple box that has been prepared locally in a kit for the purpose. Using some of our collection of antique brass stencil cuts stencil your new box either personalize it or creating an authentic reproduction. This is a good beginning woodworking class. Groups preferred.
8. By Arrangement. Metal Casting in Aluminum and Brass with Peter Grant (www.oddduckfoundry.com). Learn sand casting methods. Overview of metal casting techniques, materials & equipment. Make a mold, melt metal and pour. Choice of aluminum projects. 2nd day: Make a 4 inch Brass Bell. $200.
9. By Arrangement. Blacksmithing 101: Hardware. 10AM-3PM, weekdays or weekends. Make a "J" Hook and "S" Hook. Learn some of the basics of blacksmithing. Ages 13 and older. Homeschoolers welcome. A group of at least six is necessitated for this offering. $70
10. Sat. & Sun., January 10 & 11, 10AM-4PM. Two Day Bladesmithing Class. Make a Tomahawk & Bowie Hunting Knife with bladesmith Adriaan Gerber (www.adriaangerberknives.com). Using a propane forge or coal burning forge, cut and shape these edge tools from spring steel. Filing and hardening the blade will complete the task. Handle kits available ($20). Tools amd materials provided. non-members:Non-Members:$250, Members: $225
11. By Arrangement. Blacksmithing Studio. Instructor on hand to assist. Must have blacksmithing experience or be enrolled in a class to participate. Beginning, inermediate or advanced projects. Materials and tools provided. $40 Package of three for $100.
12. By Arrangement. Blacksmithing: Make a Coat Rack and/or Other Project. This class will provide some of the basics of blacksmithing. Heat, cut and shape metal to form your own punch, drift to use for this project. Use tool to create composite piece that includes hooks riveted to an ornately fashioned plate suitable for wall hanging.
13. By Arrangement. Six Board Heirloom Blanket Chest Making. This two day woodworking class will result in an heirloom chest for your family with dovetail joints and dados using hand tools. The pine box will measure approximately 36" x 18" x 24" with a hinged top. Materials and tools provided. $300.
14. By Arrangement. Two Day or One Day Class: 1st Day: Make a Propane Blacksmithing Forge; 2nd Day" Make a Bowie Hunting Knife with Your Forge. Involves cutting metal, welding ( welding done by instructor), making a cement form, and mixing refractory cement. Cement used is fast-drying. A propane gas delivery system will be created with black metal pipe, hose, and 3 Plus PSI propane valve. Make a knife or tomahawk on the second day. 1st day: $300; 2nd day: $125; two day price: $400.